- 1 Translingual
- 2 Chinese
- 3 Japanese
- 4 Korean
- 5 Vietnamese
- KangXi: page 96, character 16
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 466
- Dae Jaweon: page 204, character 20
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 136, character 2
- Unihan data for U+4F2F
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 伯|
|Characters in the same phonetic series (白) (Zhengzhang, 2003)|
Unclear. Possibly an areal word (Schuessler, 2007). Compare Mru [script needed] (rak, “eldest brother”) and Kukish prak (“eldest brother”) (Löffler, 1966), as well as Lahu phâ (“god; lord”) < Thai พระ (prá) < Old Khmer bra or Angkorian Old Khmer braḥ, braḥh, brah (“distinguished; divine; excellent; holy; sacred; superior; etc.”) (see Khmer ព្រះ (prĕəh) for more).
Pronunciation 2 is the exoactive/transitive of pronunciation 1 (ibid.).
- (archaic) eldest brother
- paternal uncle; father's elder brother
- form of address for senior males
- (historical) count (rank)
- ⇒ 五等爵位
- (Jilu Mandarin) mother
- (Jilu Mandarin) paternal aunt (wife of father's elder brother)
- (Wu) paternal aunt (father's sister)
- A surname.
In Old Chinese, sons of a same father are referred to in order as 伯 (bó, “first”), 仲 (zhòng, “second”), 叔 (shū, “third”) and 季 (jì, “fourth”). The usage of 仲 and 季 was later eliminated but 伯 and 叔 remained in use when referring to one's father's elder and younger brothers and male cousins. Moreover, 伯仲叔季 were commonly used in personal names in the past, and this is still occasionally seen nowadays.
|For pronunciation and definitions of 伯 – see 陌 (“footpaths between fields going east to west; street; path; road”).|
(This character, 伯, is a variant form of 陌.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 伯 – see 佰 (“troop of 100 soldiers; hundred, ; etc.”).|
(This character, 伯, is a variant form of 佰.)
伯 • (baek, pae, hak)
- (맏 백, mat-): eldest (elder) brother
- (우두머리 백, udumeori-): chief, chieftain, feudal rank count, earl (abolished in the late 14th century)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text