Jump to navigation Jump to search
consume; news; subside; to disappear; to vanish
rest; news; interest; breath
|simp. and trad.
- (countable, uncountable) message; news; information (Classifier: 條／条; 個／个)
- (countable) omen
- (countable) essence
- (countable) mechanism
- (countable) hinge; crux
- (Hokkien) earpick
- (information): 情報／情报 (qíngbào), 線索／线索 (xiànsuǒ)
- (earpick): 耳挖勺 (ěrwāsháo), 耳挖子 (ěrwāzi); (Min Nan) 鉤盌／钩盌, 鉤耳仔／钩耳仔
- 消息 (xiāoxi) refers to news as in new information; to express the meaning of news as in reports of current events, use 新聞／新闻 (xīnwén).
- Note that: while in English, "news" is usually not countable, this is not the case in Mandarin, as one can say:
- (archaic) to increase and decrease
- (archaic) to subjoin
- (archaic) to change
- (archaic) to rest
- (archaic) to recuperate
- (archaic) to calm down
- (archaic) to deliberate
|Kanji in this term|
- 2002, Ineko Kondō; Fumi Takano; Mary E Althaus; et. al., Shogakukan Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary, Third Edition, Tokyo: Shōgakukan, →ISBN.
|Hanja in this term|