Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: 断
- KangXi: page 480, character 35
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13611
- Dae Jaweon: page 841, character 22
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 3, page 2028, character 13
- Unihan data for U+65B7
|Historical forms of the character 斷|
|Western Zhou||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)|
|Bronze inscriptions||Chu Slip and silk script||Small seal script|
- to break; to snap; to cut
- 枝樹枝斷咗。 / 枝树枝断咗。 [Cantonese] ― zi1 syu6 zi1 tyun5 zo2. [Jyutping] ― A tree branch broke.
- 斷木為杵，掘地為臼，臼杵之利，萬民以濟。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: I Ching, 3rd – 2nd millennia BCE
- Duàn mù wèi chǔ, jué dì wèi jiù, jiùchǔ zhī lì, wànmín yǐ jì. [Pinyin]
- They cut wood and fashioned it into pestles; they dug in the ground and formed mortars. Thus the myriads of the people received the benefit arising from the use of the pestle and mortar.
断木为杵，掘地为臼，臼杵之利，万民以济。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to cut off; to sever; to interrupt
- 我先后綏乃祖乃父，乃祖乃父乃斷棄汝，不救乃死。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Book of Documents, circa 7th – 4th centuries BCE
- Wǒ xiānhòu suí nǎi zǔ nǎi fù, nǎi zǔ nǎi fù nǎi duàn qì rǔ, bù jiù nǎi sǐ. [Pinyin]
- Whereas my royal predecessors made your ancestors and fathers happy, they, your ancestors and fathers, will [now] cut you off and abandon you, and not save you from death.
我先后绥乃祖乃父，乃祖乃父乃断弃汝，不救乃死。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- 過言不再，流言不極；不斷其威，不習其謀。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Book of Rites, circa 4th – 2nd century BCE
- Guòyán bù zài, liúyán bù jí; bù duàn qí wēi, bù xí qí móu. [Pinyin]
- He does not repeat any error of speech; any rumours against him he does not pursue up to their source; he does not allow his dignity to be interrupted; he does not dread to practise [beforehand] the counsels [which he gives].
过言不再，流言不极；不断其威，不习其谋。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- 蘭芝初還時，府吏見丁寧，結誓不別離。今日違情義，恐此事非奇。自可斷來信，徐徐更謂之。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Southeast the Peacock Flies, before 6th century CE, translated by Burton Watson
- Lánzhī chū huán shí, fǔlì jiàn dīngníng, jié shì bù biélí. Jīnrì wéi qíngyì, kǒng cǐ shì fēi qí. Zì kě duàn láixìn, xúxú gèng wèi zhī. [Pinyin]
- When I came home this time, the clerk pleaded with me again and again, and we made a vow that we'd never part. Today if I went against those feelings, I fear nothing lucky could come of it! Let us break off these negotiations, or say we need time to think it over slowly.
兰芝初还时，府吏见丁宁，结誓不别离。今日违情义，恐此事非奇。自可断来信，徐徐更谓之。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to give up; to abstain from; to quit
- to judge; to decide; to determine; to settle
- (used in the negative) absolutely; definitely; decidedly
- 29th tetragram of the Taixuanjing; "decisiveness" (𝌢)
Derived terms from 斷
- 판단 (判斷, pandan, “judgement, determination”)
- 절단 (切斷, jeoldan, “cutting, cutting off, severance”)
- 단절 (斷層, danjeol, “(geology) fault”)