Jump to navigation Jump to search
- KangXi: page 509, character 6
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 14420
- Dae Jaweon: page 891, character 1
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 1150, character 2
- Unihan data for U+672B
|simp. and trad.
- tip; treetop
- 末梢 ― mòshāo ― tip; end
- 明足以察秋毫之末，而不見輿薪。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Mencius, circa 4th century BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Míng zúyǐ chá qiūháo zhī mò, ér bùjiàn yúxīn. [Pinyin]
- [M]y eyesight is sharp enough to examine the point of an autumn hair, but I do not see a cart-load of firewood.
明足以察秋毫之末，而不见舆薪。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (by extension) effect; result
- 本末 ― běnmò ― cause and effect
- late or the last stage; conclusion; close
- final; the last; concluding; closing; terminal
- insignificant; trivial; inferior; low-priority; low-class
- powder; fine particulate matter
- 粉末 ― fěnmò ― powder
- (literary, dated) not; none; no (negative indicator)
- 子曰：「不曰『如之何如之何』者，吾末如之何也已矣。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Analects of Confucius, circa 475 – 221 BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Zǐyuē: “Bù yuē ‘rúzhīhé rúzhīhé’ zhě, wú mò rúzhīhé yě yǐ yǐ.” [Pinyin]
- The Master said, "When a man is not in the habit of saying, 'What shall I think of this? What shall I think of this?' I can indeed do nothing with him."
子曰：“不曰‘如之何如之何’者，吾末如之何也已矣。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- 末不亦樂乎堯舜之知君子也？ [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Commentary of Gongyang, circa 206 BCE– 9 CE
- Mò bùyì lèhū Yáoshùn zhī zhī Jūnzǐ yě? [Pinyin]
- Is it not (literally, a double negative) also a joyful truth, that the ancient sages like Yao and Shun had known that a Noble One would go on to keep their teachings alive?
末不亦乐乎尧舜之知君子也？ [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- mo (a category of male roles in traditional Chinese theatre and opera)
Derived terms from 末
- Go-on: まち (machi); まつ (matsu, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: ばつ (batsu, Jōyō)
- Kun: うら (ura, 末); うれ (ure, 末); おわり (owari, 末わり)←をはり (wofari, historical); すえ (sue, 末, Jōyō)←すゑ (suwe, historical)
- the last; the end
- last child, youngest child
- offspring, descendant
- (끝): the end, last, low
- (가루): flour, powder
- (허드레): something coarse, improper, inferior, trivial
- end, last
- flour, powder
- something coarse
- ^ This was authored by several scholars at the direction of King Sejong of Yi Dynasty, concerning the folk medical herb gathering by month.
- ^ Cited by: 南廣祐 (1997). 敎學古語辭典. 敎學社. p. 538.
- ^ "末栗" is a hanja rendering for 말밤(mal-bam), the origin of 마름(mareum, 菱) "water caltrop, water chestnut," literally, "coarse chestnut" such as "horse-chestnut".
- ^ Meaning "water caltrop, (also implausibly) water chestnut." Another likely literal reading is malryul.
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text